Martes, Mayo 29, 2012

SAVED OR DECEIVED?

We're all familiar with the teaching that if anyone believes in Him, he or she shall be saved. I'm not going to disagree with that but I believe that we, as Christians fail to see that there's something more to it. We think that as long as we believe, we're good to go! And I'm sorry to burst your bubble but the truth is, that's just not how it works.

We'd be surprised that the time the day of judgement comes, many "believers" won't be seeing their names written on the book of life. Many believers of  this  generation ARE in bondage and they don't even know it. They are deceived.

The apostle Paul warns us of this deception in the New Testament saying "In the last days it is going to be very difficult to be a Christian." ( 2 Timothy 3:1, TLB )

We are living in the last days and Paul foresaw that our time would be the most difficult to become a Christian.
Yet how could it be that this man, who received 39 stripes on his back from whippings on five different occasions, beaten with rods 3 separate times, stoned and imprisoned, persecuted everywhere, still be able to say that our days are more difficult?

2 Timothy 3: 2-4 says:
"For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good.They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God." 


You might be thinking "Weren't the people of his time like this too? What differentiates them from us?" Well, Paul says "For (although) they hold a form of piety (true religion), they deny and reject and are strangers to the power of it [their conduct belies the genuineness of their profession]" - 2 Tim. 3:5, AMP

So you can see why being Christian is more difficult in our generation. Unlike Paul's where when you say you don't believe, you mean it and vice versa, Some Christians these days say that He is their Savior, but do not give the Lord full control in their lives. They think of what He can do for them rather than who He is. They're "Christian" only because of the benefits - salvation and success in life.

"Others base their lives off of the "norm" in the Christian culture, and this "norm" is out of sync with heaven, thus making it hard to be a true believer." - John Bevere


During the days of Paul, if you were a believer, your life would be in jeopardy every hour! Giving your allegiance to Jesus meant putting your life on the line. You'd go to bed at night and not know whether you've lived your last.

"But you, Timothy, certainly know what I teach, and how I live, and what my purpose in life is. You know my faith, my patience, my love, and my endurance. 11 You know how much persecution and suffering I have endured. You know all about how I was persecuted in Antioch, Iconium, and Lystra—but the Lord rescued me from all of it. 12 Yes, and everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. 13 But evil people and impostors will flourish. They will deceive others and will themselves be deceived."  
- 2 Timothy 3:10-13, NLT

Paul tells Timothy that it was not only what he did that proved his faith but it was how he lived and what his purpose in life was. It was his lifestyle which was and still is to be the determining factor. Futhermore, He states that "evil people and impostors will flourish" 
Now, hold up. I think we all know how to distinguish what is or whether a person is "evil". It's easy! However, the difficulty is in knowing who the "impostors" are -the ones who say with their mouth that Jesus is Lord but do not live in evidence of their faith. In addition, not only are they deceived but they deceive others as well! Some may assure you of their position and "godly works" or their "godliness" yet still give in to such compromise. Regardless of their position. If they do something wrong and are deceived into thinking it is right, we, if we're not wise enough, could fall into thinking that it too, is okay or right and then imitate what they do.

"For some godless people have slipped in unnoticed among us (impostors), persons who distort the message about the grace of our God in order to excuse their immoral ways, and who reject Jesus Christ, our only Master and Lord. Long ago the Scriptures predicted the condemnation they have received." - Jude 4, TEV 

I am reminded of the slogan  i've seen from a number of Christian concerts that says  "NO TO COMPROMISE." I see this everywhere and wonder what above all other important truths or sayings is it that they chose this?
And it is only now that I really understood why. Often we make light of the word "compromise". The thing is, when God says "NO" He means "NO" and nothing else.
Having boyfriends without parent's approval, downloading illegal music, being touchy, hanging out, taking home, talking about very personal topics or just being alone with our opposite gender friends, wearing immodest clothes, ( things that lead to temptation ), saying bad words and homosexuality, are just some of examples that come to mind when I think about those deceived who deceive. They think it's okay.

Note that Jude mentions these to be "unnoticed". Jude wasn't talking about those who reject or deny Jesus because they've already admitted to that. Here, it is clear that Jude talks about those ( deceived ) who confess with their mouth that Jesus is Lord and are unnoticed. "Such people claim they know God, but they deny him by the way they live. They are detestable and disobedient, worthless for doing anything good." ( Titus 1:16, NLT )

It doesn't get any clearer than that. That is why I call them the "deceived who deceive". In other words, they THINK they're really Christians but their lifestyle says otherwise and they don't even realize.


 "How we live communicates much louder than what we speak" - John Bevere


Another deception is when some say "I know I'm not living the way I should, but thank God for His grace."
Friends, Grace isn't a big bandage. It is God's empowering presence within to do what truth demands of us. ( - John Bevere )

Though we are taught that Grace is simply God's unmerited favor, which is true  but it should also compel us to obey. And  the evidence that we've truly received it is by living a godly life.

I mean, if all it took to be saved was believing that Jesus really lives and is the son of God, then doesn't it mean that demons too should be saved because they, in all their existence know this. Yet why then are they still dwelling in the fires of hell?
"So you see, faith by itself isn’t enough. Unless it produces good deeds, it is dead and useless.
 Now someone may argue, “Some people have faith; others have good deeds.” But I say, “How can you show me your faith if you don’t have good deeds? I will show you my faith by my good deeds.”
 You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God.[a] Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror."
- James 2: 17-19

I've seen people lose their faith or get turned-off with going to church because of people especially in the ministries who do even what appears to be the most "innocent" of compromises, live ungodly lives or don't walk their talk.

I know that is why Paul says that In our days, being a Christian is absolutely difficult.
There is a battle going on in our generation and we are to fight for the faith. 




Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento